I don’t really know why Luka Magnitta was back in court again yesterday … this trial is going to cost a freakin fortune.
Magnotta’s jury trial is set to begin on Sept. 8, 2014. Magnotta’s lawyer, Luc Leclair, filed a series of motions he intends to argue early next year.
Superior Court Justice Guy Cournoyer said he hopes the two sides in the case will resolve the issues before the February hearing date … the story continues HERE.
There is not much to report about Luka Magnotta until the trial starts in Sept. 2015. Recently Magnotta’s ex girlfriend Barbie Swallows did an interview with the Toronto Sun, where she says Magnotta was ‘extremely narcissistic.’
Now we have reports of how an American blogger name Kyle says he is co-ordinating tours and is interested in the case since “Luka’s very physically attractive” and “has a lot of personality.”
Give me a freakin break … seriously now, WTF is wrong with some people.
Anyhow, Barbie scoffs at the whole thing … she said Magnotta will enjoy the recognition showered upon him by Kyle and anyone taking the tours.
“He’s in love with himself,” she said. “ He only cares about himself and his public image. As long as people are still talking about him then he is satisfied.” … read more from the Toronto Sun HERE.
Mark Marek, the owner of the website that posted the 1 Lunatic 1 IcePick video showing the alleged killing of Jun Lin by Luka Rocco Magnotta has been arrested in Edmonton and charged with corrupting morals.
Police said a year-long investigation that began shortly after the murder of Jun Lin in Montreal has led to the charge against 38 year old Mark Marek. They also mentioned, there could be more charges … read more from The Star HERE.
It has been a year since, according to police … Luka Magnotta murdered and dismembered Jun Lin in Apartment 208. The superintendent at the building, Eric Schorer has said, the renovated apartment, has since been rented … this is the second tenant to live in the unit since the grisly murder.
He doesn’t think the man, whom he described as a foreigner, knows anything about the past history of his current home.
“We don’t advertise it, obviously,” Schorer said.
I am not surprised that the trial is starting two years after the death of Jun Lin … I will never understand how we can delay justice for so long in a case like this.
The dates to watch for … Sept. 3rd of this year, where there will be a pre-trial conference … and Sept. 15, 2014, when Luka Rocco Magnotta will finally face trial.
A Court of Quebec Judge has ordered Luka Magnotta to stand trial for first-degree murder in the death of Concordia University student Jun Lin in May 2012.
Magnotta will also be tried on four other charges, including causing indignity to Lin’s body, broadcasting obscene material, using the postal service to send obscene material and harassment of Prime Minister Stephen Harper and other members of Parliament.
A trial date will be set on April 29.
Last year, the 30-year-old Ontario native pleaded not guilty and opted for trial before a judge and jury.
The weeks-long preliminary inquiry in the case wrapped up earlier today at the Montreal courthouse. Evidence presented at that hearing cannot be published because of a court-ordered ban.
Judge Lori Renée Weitzman, who heard from more than 30 witnesses in recent weeks, has ruled there is enough evidence to proceed to trial in the case.
Earlier this week, Magnotta’s lawyer told the court that if his client is ordered to stand trial, it should be on a lesser charge.
Luc Leclair, who is representing Magnotta, told the judge that the Crown must show that the killing was both planned and deliberate for a charge of first-degree.
He said based on his analysis, the judge cannot conclude the evidence presented at the hearing justifies that charge.
If Luka Rocco Magnotta is ordered to stand trial, it should be on a charge of second-degree murder and not first-degree, one of his lawyers said Monday.
Luc Leclair told court he intends to make final arguments to that effect later this week as Magnotta’s preliminary inquiry wraps up.
Magnotta, 30, is charged with first-degree murder in the death of Chinese engineering student Jun Lin. He has pleaded not guilty and opted for trial before a judge and jury. A trial likely wouldn’t be heard until 2014.
The Crown says only one more witness might appear at the hearing. After closing arguments, a judge will have to decide whether Magnotta’s case should be sent to trial.
On Monday, the proceedings resumed after a two-week break. Witnesses included Montreal’s Dong Dong Xu, a man described as a good friend of Lin’s, as wel as people who appeared from Vancouver via a video link.
Xu answered questions from Crown and defence lawyers as Magnotta listened impassively.Xu, 30, attempted to have a publication ban placed on his identity, but the judge dismissed the request.
The Vancouver witnesses included a Canada Post employee and a police constable.
Also, the court heard from two witnesses each from St-George’s School, an all-boys school, and two from False Creek Elementary School. Both are located in Vancouver.
More than 30 witnesses have been heard so far. Prosecutor Louis Bouthillier only plans to call one more, from France. However, it remained nebulous whether the individual would be called.
Testimony from witnesses who were expected to testify via video link from Germany has been cancelled. The defence says it won’t hear any witnesses.
None of the evidence can be published because of a court-ordered ban.
In addition to first-degree murder, Magnotta is also facing four other charges related to the case: committing an indignity to a body; publishing obscene material; criminally harassing Prime Minister Stephen Harper and other members of Parliament; and mailing obscene and indecent material.
Lin’s father attended the brief afternoon hearing.
Quebec court Judge Lori-Renee Weitzman is hearing the case. Any trial would take place in Quebec Superior Court.
Sidhartha Banerjee, The Canadian Press
A close friend of Jun Lin testifying Monday at the preliminary hearing of Luka Magnotta asked that his name not be made public because he is “between jobs.”
But Quebec Court Judge Lori-Renée Weitzman rejected the request from Dong Dong Xu, 30, the 26th witness to testify at the hearing as it resumed Monday after a one-week break.
A publication ban still remains in effect on all the evidence heard at the preliminary hearing – a routine order from the court at this stage of the proceedings.
As has been the case since the hearing began March 11, many spectators lined up early in order to get one of 24 seats reserved for spectators.
The hearing resumes this afternoon with witnesses from Vancouver, who will testify via video conference. Witnesses from Europe are scheduled to testify Tuesday.
Magnotta, 30, faces four charges in connection with the May 25 death of 33-year-old Chinese national Lin, including causing an indignity to a body, producing and distributing obscene material and sending obscene material through the postal system. He was arrested in June in an Internet café in Berlin and brought back to Canada on a private flight.
Once all the evidence has been presented, Weitzman will rule on whether the case can be sent to trial. If so, Magnotta will be tried some time next year in Quebec Superior Court by a judge and jury.
A document released late last night shows Luka Magnotta was diagnosed with paranoid schizophrenia as a teenager.
A Toronto judge approved the release of the document concerning Magnotta’s medical history.
The letter was submitted as evidence when Magnotta was facing fraud charges in 2005. At the time, he was going by his birth name — Eric Clinton Newman.
The letter was from a Toronto-area psychiatrist who had been treating him for five years.
The psychiatrist said he knew of two recent occasions when Newman was admitted to hospital as an inpatient.
Media fought to make document public.
The letter was released after several media outlets fought for it to be made public.
A Globe and Mail reporter had been trying to obtain the letter, a public document, since July, but was rebuffed in several attempts.
Various media outlets then joined together to hire counsel to make arguments to a judge for the letter’s release.
Magnotta’s lawyer Luc Leclair tried to stop the letter from becoming public, but Ontario Court Judge Fergus O’Donnell ruled Tuesday afternoon that it should be released.
In his ruling, O’Donnell said the document does contain sensitive and personal medical information, but any privacy interest was forgone when the letter was filed in open court.
In 2005, Magnotta was prescribed five different medications, including two antipsychotic drugs, Seroquel and Risperdal, to treat his disorder. He was also prescribed an anti-anxiety medication, a night sedative and a drug to counteract unwanted side-effects from his antipsychotic medication.
“Without access to the letter, the public is not in a position to engage in a meaningful assessment or debate over the appropriateness of what happened to Mr. Newman in 2005 in what is supposed to be an open and transparent court process,” O’Donnell wrote.
A top confidante to Prime Minister Stephen Harper testified at a preliminary hearing for accused killer Luka Magnotta as it wrapped up Thursday before a two-week break.
Several witnesses came from Ottawa to testify including Jenni Byrne, who has served the prime minister in senior roles in his office and in the Conservative party.
Magnotta, accused of first-degree murder in the killing and dismemberment of engineering student Jun Lin, has pled not guilty to all charges and chose trial by jury.
Magnotta is facing five counts including the murder charge: committing an indignity to a body, publishing obscene material, criminally harassing Prime Minister Stephen Harper and other members of Parliament, and mailing obscene and indecent material.
Byrne, who is now the director of political operations for the federal Conservative party, testified in a Montreal courtroom as the hearing entered its ninth day. She delivered her account matter-of-factly, with no display of emotion.
Magnotta, meanwhile, sat impassively and listened. He was shackled and seated in his fortified prisoner’s box in the high-security courtroom … Evidence presented at the preliminary hearing is subject to a publication ban. The hearing is to determine whether there is enough evidence to send Magnotta to trial.
Byrne’s brief appearance came as a group of Ottawa-based witnesses testified. They included two Ottawa police officers and a Canada Post inspector.
Witnesses were heard through mid-day Thursday, when the hearing adjourned until April 8. Witnesses from Europe, Vancouver and Montreal are scheduled to be heard after the pause.
Police witnesses have made up the bulk of the two dozen people to testify so far.
The court has also heard from a journalist from the United Kingdom, two Montreal apartment building employees, a number of Canada Post employees and a trio of medical experts.
Magnotta collapsed in court this week after watching video evidence. He has appeared to be wiping away tears at times and has often held his hand to his mouth during testimony.
Both the Crown and the defence told Judge Lori-Renee Weitzman that one more week in April should be enough time to complete the hearing.
The hearings have produced some bizarre twists.
The defence tried to have the public and media barred altogether from the proceedings, but the judge rejected the request.
Then a member of Magnotta’s legal team withdrew from the case after the Crown raised the possibility of a conflict of interest.
The family of the victim has travelled to Montreal for the hearings but has attended them only sporadically.
A family lawyer said Jun Lin’s father, mother and sister have come from China, at considerable cost, in order to honour their relative’s memory and follow the proceedings.
Jun Lin, 33, was his only son.
Lawyers for the Lin family, working pro bono, have attended on their behalf.
Sidhartha Banerjee, The Canadian Press